Happy Friday, ya’ll! I’m super excited for this Friday in particular because I’m heading to
the motherland Athens to celebrate Homecoming. I’m probably most excited about the foods I plan to consume – Bagel Street Deli, O’Betty’s, Courtside Pizza to name a few – but also to see some of my favorite friends and really just to be back on the brick streets. We didn’t really get to celebrate our anniversary because we were both working, so heading back to where we met will be a much-welcomed trip.
I wanted to also share a few life lately snaps:
My look from the Style + Sustainability Gala last weekend – full post coming on this one next week!
Gorgeous sunset at a work event earlier this week.
Stickers from some of my favorite local breweries.
Brisket tacos. ‘Nuff said.
Gorgeous view from our anniversary dinner last night.
I’ve got an extensive wish list for fall/winter including:
Have a great weekend!
Today is our first anniversary. It’s hard to believe it’s been a whole year, and at the same time it has flown by in what feels like the blink of an eye.
The past year, and even the time leading up to our wedding, we’ve been busy. We’ve moved twice, started new jobs, explored different hobbies (both together and separately) and have definitely grown both as one and as individuals.
I’ve learned a lot in the past year. About you, about me, about us. It definitely hasn’t always been easy, but I love the life we’ve built together.
When I look at you, I am in awe sometimes. You’re smart, you’re driven and you’re such a genuinely good person, I can’t help but be extremely proud. I also know you’d do anything for me. I’m so very lucky you’re in my life, and that I’m given the opportunity to grow with you and learn from you on our journey.
I’m eternally grateful that you bring out the best in me on days when it feels like the walls are caving in. I definitely couldn’t get through life’s curveballs without you. I can only hope I provide the same happiness and comfort for you that you do for me.
So on,our first wedding anniversary, I want you to know that I fall more in love with you every day and I wouldn’t trade our life together for anything. I’m so humbled by you every day, and I feel so lucky that I get to go through life with you by my side. I love you.
In our house, our bar cart is a focal point to our everyday life. It gets a good bit of use, ahem, we did go to Ohio University, and it’s one of my favorite decorative focal points in our [new to us] living room.
I actually got this bar cart several years ago for Seth when we were first dating. I knew he’d love it for his apartment at the time, and I’m happy it worked into the home we’ve built together too.
We got several customized cutting boards for our wedding, and most of them have found a home on our bar cart. It did’t feel right not to display them because they were such kind, thoughtful gifts.
We also got this perfect airplane cocktail shaker for our wedding and when we moved, I had the bright idea to display it with our liquor:
I added a few other small details from our wedding, too. We had a TON (and I mean a ton) of leftover cocktail napkins and it made perfect sense (and was free…) to give them a use. We also added straws from our wedding reception.
I always keep a few cork screws, coasters, a cocktail shaker, an ice bucket and several different types of glasses, so guests have options for drinks. Aside from the ‘standard’ red and white wine glasses (which we keep on a bakers/wine rack on the other side of the room) I always have martini, Collins and rocks glasses.
We made it! It’s almost the weekend! I wish I had more to report around these parts.. I’ve actually been basically doing nothing but working, and will pretty much be working all weekend, too. I DO hope to carve out some QT with my hubs this weekend, along with our pool.
Anyway, here’s what I’m loving around the interwebs this week:
Happy reading and happy weekend! Pour a little rose slushie out for me, as I’ll be workin’ all weekend!
This weekend was pretty great, if I do say so myself. Some days, you just need an impromptu Sunday Funday with your hubby – which is exactly what we did yesterday.
I started the day solo at the Taft Museum of Art for the Dressing Downton exhibit. It was SO worth it. If you have any interest in fashion at all, I highly suggest checking it out – completely worth the $20.
Fun fact: The fictional Cora Crawley on Downton is Cincinnati-born – so it makes perfect sense they’d bring the exhibit here!
I apologize for the crappy iPhone pics – they do NOT do the gorgeousness of these
After the exhibit, we headed to Hangover Easy for brunch. OU folks, I like to call it a hipster Union Street Diner.
A breakfast sandwich made from a Holtman’s donut – doesn’t get much better.
After brunch, we headed for an impromptu zoo visit – which was awesome, because fun fact: you can drink in the zoo. GAME CHANGER.
This very cute cheetah in a onesie is adorable. He’s wearing this outfit because he has a feeding tube – these little guys’ momma died and they’re being cared for by the zoo veterinarians.
Hope you had a FANtastic weekend! WHat are your favorite things to do in Cincinnati!?
Well ya’ll, we made it to the weekend! I hope you plan to relax this weekend. If so, get some sun for me!
Here’s what I’m loving from around the interwebs:
I also wanted to share some pics I’ve snapped on my iPhone lately, as SO many of the things I wear don’t make it to the blog:
Shirt: J.Crew Factory, Shorts: Old Navy, Lip: Urban Decay Matte Lipstick ‘Bad Blood’
Tank: Gabes, Shorts; H&M, Lip: NARS Lip Pencil in ‘Never Say Never’, Aerie Bralette
Top: thrifted at Buffalo Exchange, Necklace: & jeans: Target, Wedges: Crown Vintage via DSW
Dress: Forever 21, Wedges: Crown Vintage via DSW
Tee: H&M, Skirt: Forever 21
Blazer: Cynthia Rowley, Dress: Old Navy, Necklace: J.Crew Factory, Heels: Steve Madden
Today is my 26th birthday, and I’ve been thinking a lot about life lately. My life has changed a TON over the past two years – I got married, I moved to an entirely different city and I’ve started a new job. Needless to say, a lot has happened.
I’m definitely no expert on life – I make my fair share of mistakes. I like to think I’m somewhat self-aware of my flaws – I hold grudges, I can be selfish.. and the list goes on.
I’ve been thinking the last month or so, amidst another major change – we’re moving! (not far just to the other side of Cincy) – about what I’ve learned over the past couple of years from my personal life, my friends, my professional life and my husband. So, here we go, in no particular order:
- When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for a little charitable assumption when it comes to certain things, but I’ve found that when it comes to people’s actions and fundamental personality traits – it’s best to just accept that not everyone is what you want/hope for them to be. I’m not saying this cynically, either, but everyone operates differently and that’s ok. You can’t control anyone else’s actions but your own, and as soon as I realized it it made my life much easier.
- Everything happens for a reason. […and it’s REALLY hard to keep that in mind when you’re in the thick of it] SO much has changed recently, and not all of it seemed good, at the time. I’m really lucky, though, that when life happens, my husband is always there reminding me that everything happens for a reason. Guess what? It’s insanely hard to remember that when sh*t is going down. In my experience thus far, though, everything really does happen for a reason.
- Everyone’s lives unfold differently. I’ve been really fortunate that I’ve kept in close touch with an amazing group of girls both from high school and college. We talk a ton, and one things I re-learn on a daily basis is that our lives are all very different. I love hearing about what’s taking place in their lives – careers, babies, marriages, moves. It’s not all happening for all of us at the same time or in the same way – or hell, maybe some things aren’t happening for some of us. And that’s ok.
- That being said – Comparison is the thief of joy. I think as women, we tend to compare each other to one another all the time. It’s f*cking hard not to – society basically forces us too. But guess what? We shouldn’t. We are so uniquely ourselves and that’s actually a beautiful thing. We should stop comparing ourselves to other people – men and women. Bodies, success, things others have. Let’s just stop comparing. Easier said than done though, amiright!?
- Work your ass off. Trust your hard work will pay off. As ‘millennials’, people like to say we aren’t willing to work for what we have. I know so many people who are grinding and trying to be successful, I know that’s just not the case. I’ve definitely sometimes felt that my hard work is just being rewarded with pitfall after pitfall, but I’ve found that it’s crucial to keep in mind your hard work will pay off eventually.
- Making [new] friends as an adult is hard. When we moved to Cincy, we felt fearless – moving here not knowing anyone. We pretty quickly found out that it’s nearly impossible to make friends as adults. In college, we’re basically handed friends and added bonus? They’re also practically our neighbors. Adulthood is not so kind. It’s damn difficult to make real friends. Most of the people we meet already have friends, and it’s hard to get addd to a new friend group. Like really hard
Life is hard right!? We’re all just trying to get through it, one way or another. What are a few things you’ve learned along the way?
Happy Friday! We officially made it! I don’t know about you, but I am SO looking forward to some much needed relaxing this weekend.
I wanted to share a few snaps from life lately, as well as some link lovin’ from around the interwebs. Cheers!
Chicken + waffles and mimosas + coffee at Taste of Belgium. #brunchsohard
The prettiest dress at Marshall’s, an insanely cute (and INSANELY AFFORDABLE) dupe of this dress you’ve seen on every blogger lately.
A grilled cheese salad from Cincy favorite, Tom + Chee – yes it was as amazing as it looks.
My very sweet pooch waiting for a walk.
Holy sunset after a killer storm.
This full look coming to the blog soon – ya’ll know I love a good flared jean.
Around the interwebs:
Happy Friday, ya’ll! It’s been awhile since I’ve shared a ‘Currently..’ post, so I figured it was time I share what I’m up to right now!
reading – All the Light We Cannot See; a truly captivating read with protagonists from both sides of WWII. Highly recommend!
listening to – JT’s newest song is absolutely the song of the summer. Yep, I said it. Officially calling it now. I cannot stop listening!
obsessing over – my awesome parents got me the pretty blue suede shoes I’ve been lusting over for months (coming to the blog soon!). I’m going to be wearing these pretties allllll the time
wearing – another way I styled this off the shoulder top from yesterday’s post. I also love it tucked in with shorts and flat sandals (pictured here) or with wedges.
drinking – it’s officially rose season, ya’ll! I absolutely looooove sitting outside with a glass of rose over dinner. Doesn’t get old. Can it be warm out all summer long!?
What are you loving currently? I am so excited to spend the weekend enjoying Cincy with the hubs.
Happy Thursday, ya’ll! We’re almost to the weekend, I don’t know about you, but it’s MUCH welcomed. I’ve actually been traveling the last two weeks at training for a new job, which I’m SUPER excited about, but totally ready to get back to Cincy!
Here are a few snaps from my travels lately:
HAD to stop at In n Out while out West. Animal Style, obvs.
Gorgeous scenes in Scottsdale.
Dress: Marshall’s (last year), Sandals: American Eagle (also last year), Sunnies: Betsey Johnson
An AMAZING mac ‘n’ cheese burger at my new job. (The food is SO GOOD..)
Top: SheIn, Jeans: Target, Heels: ShoeDazzle, Lip: Urban Decay Matte ‘Bittersweet’
It’s been a fun couple of weeks of travel, but I am so ready to get home and see my pooch (oh, and my hubby too)!